Sleep is essential for all human beings however we all do It in different ways, some people find it easy where for others it’s a major problem, find below some interesting and rather strange facts about what we essentially spend a third of our life doing.
Weird & Wonderful Facts about Sleep
- People can survive for as long as 2 months without eating, but you can only survive for up to 11 days without sleeping.
- Within 5 minutes of being awake 50% of your dreams are forgotten and within 10 minutes 90% have gone.
- A Koala sleeps for an average of 22 hours a day whilst a Giraffe averages only 30 mins a day (In 5-10-minute bursts).
- 12% of people only dream in black and white – This used to be much higher however since the invention of television people are dreaming in colour much more.
- Up to 15% of the whole population are sleepwalkers, this is a rare and potentially dangerous disorder. It is more common in children rather than adults and more likely to happen if the individual is sleep deprived.
- Whilst you are dreaming you are unable to tell the time or read. If you are unsure if you are awake of not look at a clock, the hands will not move or the time will constantly be different.
- Gender makes a difference between who we dream about, men tend to dream mostly about males whereas females have an equal mix of males and females featuring in their dreams.
- They say that sleeping In a cold room increases your chances of having a nightmare.
- Your brain doesn’t have the ability to make up people’s faces, if you see random people in your dream they are people you have actually seen or crossed paths with before.
- The term ‘Good Night Sleep Tight’ actually comes from the Shakespearean times. Mattresses were secured by ropes, by tying the ropes tighter the mattress became firmer.