When it comes to choosing a new mattress there are many options to choose from, from pocket sprung to open coil to Memory Foam. Below we have listed some pros and cons of purchasing a memory foam mattress to help you with your decision.
Advantages of Memory Foam Mattresses
- A memory foam mattress will contour to your body’s natural curves, supporting your lower back and allowing your spine to remain in a neutral position. Due to the mattresses extra support they are popular with people who suffer from arthritis or other painful joint conditions.
- If you or your partner are restless sleepers or have different sleep patterns this is perfect for you as any movements are absorbed by the mattress, therefore you should both have an uninterrupted night’s sleep.
- Long term use of a Memory Foam Mattress has been shown to reduce chronic neck, hip and back pain.
- Memory Foam has been proven to have a positive effect on respiratory conditions as they ease breathing during sleep.
- There is no noise from a memory foam mattress, you won’t be kept awake or disturbed by any creaking sounds.
- They are low maintenance unlike other types of mattress you do not need to turn memory foam regularly.
- A typical mattress has anywhere between 100000 and 10 million dust mites, memory foam however have been proven to discourage dust mites due to the dense structure of the memory foam and also the material used to manufacture them.
- They are known to have a longer-life span, the mattresses are also less likely to sag or dip compared to a sprung mattress.
Discover: Memory Comfort Mattress
Disadvantages of Memory Foam Mattresses
- Memory Foam mattresses can be quite heavy however due to them not needing to be regularly turned this shouldn’t cause too many problems.
- If a mattress isn’t aired properly there have been reports of odours coming from them.
- Due to the support these mattresses provide and the dense foam used they have been known to be hotter than a standard mattress, however, newer technologies are combating this issue with gel cooling components and slightly different materials.